Time of Walk: 5:00 PM
Weather: Icy-moved indoors
I have to be honest. I tried to come up with excuses not to walk today. Although the streets were salted and clear, the sidewalks were really too icy to walk, and it was tempting to skip it altogether. Instead I scolded myself for making excuses and headed to a treadmill at our park district health club where we have a family membership.
Some of the things I do not like about working out at health clubs:
- The elderly gentleman on the treadmill to my left is working a lot harder than I am, and I have to deal with the guilt.
- The young, thin girl on the treadmill to my right is working a lot harder than I am, but I don’t do much about it and try not to feel guilty about it.
- I’m forced to pretty much stare straight ahead the whole time I’m walking. Things, like a circle of carpeting that for some reason doesn’t line up with the carpet around it, start to bug me. (I thought about stopping my treadmill and trying to fix it, but I didn’t think that would end well.)
Some of the things I like about working out at health clubs:
- I can watch football while walking.
- I can listen to music while walking (and while watching football).
- It’s climate controlled with no wind chill.
- The treadmill forces me to keep a steady pace, even if it is pokey.
- Taking pictures, while keeping said pokey pace and trying to be surreptitious about it, presents interesting challenges.
Good day. Good walk.